Friday, 26 August 2016
It turns out that this weekend is a four day weekend for us -woohoo! It's even more exciting because until yesterday I'd completely forgotten bout it. So, we've planned a couple of trips into Edinburgh, one into the city to see a little of the Fringe Festival as we haven't had a chance so far this year. I hear the food trucks are amazing this time round -someone mentioned a creme brulee one! We also have a few things that need done in the house, just general chores and diy but it should be a nice balance of time at home and time spent exploring. What are your plans?
1. A cup of tea in my New York mug to start the day.
2. The Bake Off being back on tv, making Wednesday nights so much better.
3. Cookie Monster ice-cream! I can't quite put my finger on the taste, and the lady serving wasn't exactly sure either, but it was tasty and full of cookies and chocolate chips. It also left my tongue blue which pleased the 5 year old in me.
4. Finding a great spot for catching Pokemon not far from where we live. You turn the corner and at least 5 appear at once.
5. Finding out that you can buy ice-cream for dogs! Don't worry, it's completely free off dairy and it's the perfect treat for them on hot days.
6. Snacking on left over brownies from Wednesdays Bake Off night, the salted caramel is so addictive. I can see theses becoming an autumn favourite.
7. Realising how the patterns of sunlight have changed in the garden, meaning that we're coming to the end of summer...I love the light in the evenings at the moment.
8. My mum coming up for no other reason than to kill two spiders for me. Shes good like that.
Wednesday, 24 August 2016
This year we've also made an important decision! We've been watching the show for years now, and without fail, halfway through each episode we start seriously craving some kind of cake. We then end up rummaging around in the kitchen trying to concoct something that will satisfy us, but sadly it never does. This year however we're starting off on the right foot! This afternoon I've made a batch of salted caramel brownies for enjoying with tonight's episode. I plan on making sure this trend continues over the course of the series. Also, the recipe is incredibly easy and far too tasty for it's own good, I might share it here soon.
So, we're now all set for tonight...bring on the Bake Off!
Tuesday, 23 August 2016
One thing we think of doing each and every summer, but something we never get around to, is to have fish and chips by the sea. We talk about it each year as the weather starts to warm up but we always seem to forget.
On Sunday afternoon to make the most of the beautiful (if a little cold) weather, we headed down to South Queensferry. It's a beautiful little place, which looks up at the Forth Rail Bridge and out over the water. It's full of the sweetest cafes, shops and restaurants and you can easily spend an afternoon sipping coffee and watching the boats sail by. After spending some time exploring the shops and trying to decide on a place for coffee, we headed to what I had been told was an amazing fish and chip shop for a late lunch. We ordered fish and chips to share, and then headed down to the pebbled part of the beach to enjoy it -no sand in our food for us. Oh, and it was as good as I'd been told!
After our food, and some time spent watching the boats and playing with all the dogs in sight, we headed for some ice-cream -I mean, the sun had come back out so it was the only fair. We slowly wondered back to the car, trying to eat ice-cream without hair blowing in it, mine, not Paul's, and then headed home.
I know summers coming to an end soon, but it was such a lovely way to spend an afternoon, that I'd love to try and squeeze in one more meal by the sea before it gets too cold.
Friday, 12 August 2016
1. Our bathroom of course, as only just mentioned...but I love having our shower room back! I never thought I'd say I was sick of baths but...even Lush can't make me love them right now.
2. Having my mum, gran and little brother up for a big family style, help yourself kind of breakfast.
3. Picking up copper cup and spoon measurements in the sale. I've wanted cup measures for such a long time and I'm not sure why I never got round to buying any.
4. My first ever attempt at blueberry muffins was a huge success, so much so that they didn't even make it until the next day.
5. My new metallic Converse.
6. Our fridge is once again full of raspberries, freshly picked and so tasty that a lot have already been eaten.
7. Being very proud of myself for not eating the jar of Nutella that has now been in the cupboard for over a week.
8. Pokemon walks on cold nights, meaning I finally got to use my new Starbucks tumbler. It was full of gingerbread chai tea, in case you wondered.
Friday, 5 August 2016
1. The most hilarious moments with my best friend, that just remind me how weird we really are!
2. Late night walks with Paul, catching Pokemon.
3. My new jumpsuit. Over the past few years I've fallen in love with jumpsuits and have somehow built up a little collection. Me from years ago, would never have thought they'd be something I could wear, but in actual fact they're very flattering.
4. Paul's homemade Starbucks lattes. I have one beside me right now...very tasty indeed.
5. Our boiler being fixed and us once again have hot water!! No more boiling the kettle five times to do the dishes.
6. Getting far too excited for Halloween, even though it's only a few days into August. Also, can we just take a moment to process that...How is it already August?!
7. The most satisfying box of sugar cubes you will ever see. Each one lined up perfectly and all the same size, it's not like that now of course but it pleased me when I opened it.
8. Finding Paul napping on the bed, with a small dog trying her best to get under his arm for a cuddle.
Wednesday, 3 August 2016
Enjoying -the walking we do with Pokemon Go. I used to walk so much more than I do now, I think it's the difference between having a big dog that needs lots of walking, and a teenie tiny one that really doesn't. It's given us a reason to get out and walk -not that you need a reason but it's fun to have one.
Listening -to old music on Spotify. And by old music I mean songs from our teenage years -so I guess it's not all that old. It's so funny how certain songs can bring back memories and emotions from that time. So many of them remind me of Paul in some way.
Drinking -lots and lots of ice water. I've been making a real effort to drink more than I have been lately.
Wishing -I was back in New York. I honestly love that city so much more than I ever thought I could. I miss it like I miss home. The odd sunny day we get to enjoy at the moment, also makes me miss it that little bit more. We had such glorious weather while we were there, that when it is beautiful here, it leaves me longing to be back wandering around Central Park with an iced latte.
Eating -raspberries and yogurt coated popcorn. The former, of course, very good for you, the latter not so much. It is however delicious and you can't be good 100% of the time, life would be very dull if we were.
Planning -something very exciting! I'll share what it is with you all very soon, but at the moment it's our little secret.
Loving -leggings. I've been wearing them most days lately and love how they look with my Puma trainers and leather jacket.
Watching -two very different TV shows! Robot Wars, it's back, do you remember the series from years ago? Paul and I have been watching that, and Eden. After discussing it at length we have learned that Paul is pretty sure he could cope without modern necessities for a while...I however, and 100% certain I couldn't.
Friday, 29 July 2016
Well I can't say this week hasn't been just a little bit annoying at times, you see, we've had no hot water since last weekend! This has meant that we've had to go up and down to my mums for showers, we've had to wash the dishes by boiling the kettle over and over again and if I turn the hot tap on one more time to wash my hands I may scream! However -that should be all fixed this evening (fingers crossed) and the world can continue as it should. Tomorrow night we're heading out for dinner with Paul's mum and dad, we're having Tapas somewhere they haven't tried so that should be fun. What are your plans for this weekend?
1. Slower weekday mornings that result in lemon ricotta pancakes with piles of berries. So much better than the hurried bowl of cereal.
2. Spending Saturday evening playing with Snapchat filters.
3. Making cupcakes, it feels like forever since I last made a batch. So even though these weren't for us, it was still fun.
4. Still catching Pokemon. We are still totally hooked on this game, plus I love how much more we walk now without even realising.
5. This song.
6. The small dog curled up on my lap as I type this. I love how cuddly she is.
7. Monday afternoon spent picking berries with Paul.
8. Late afternoon walks around pretty little towns, where nearly everyone has door steps surrounded by flower pots.
© Baking Fashion | All rights reserved.