Friday, 17 February 2017
This week has felt so quiet and calm in comparison to others lately. We haven't done too much, but it's been lovely regardless. I do have that horrible feeling however, that I've forgotten something really important...but honestly couldn't tell you what it is! Do you ever have that? I'm sure it's probably nothing, as I make so many lists that if there was something that needed done, I would have written it down. And if in fact there is something important, then I'm sure I'll find out soon enough. I'm also starting the weekend with yet more baking. And again, none of it's for us, but one is a birthday cake so I'm sure we'll get some of that.
1. A random evening drive into Edinburgh with Paul, just to pick something up. But as we got parked right away, we ended up staying for coffee and enjoying how quiet the city was.
2. Valentines night with sugar cookies and films.
3. Sookies little face when I go to collect her for the groomers. I feel so bad leaving her but it has to be done.
4. Anthropologie. I could spend hours in the stores or browsing the beautiful collection of things online. Although probably a bad habit.
5. The ridiculously cute 3d dinosaur cookies we made at the start of the week (pictured above).
6. Paul's Star Wars slippers, that have somehow become mine. They are far too big and I shouldn't really wear them while going up and down the stairs but they keep my feet nice and cosy. *side note, I should really get my own pair soon.
7. How the Easter treats are slowly starting to take over the stores now Valentines is over.
8. The little chocolates at the tills in Costa...I love them! They are basically Nutella, just a little harder and in gold wrappers. They've become a must when we get coffee.
Tuesday, 14 February 2017
Valentines Day seems to be one of those love hate kind of things. I understand the reasons for disliking it, it can be so commercial, all about buying flowers and gifts, and spending money purely for the sake of it. After all, money doesn't show how much you love someone, it's the little things that you should do all the time, not just one day of the year when it dictates we should.
But still, I do love Valentines Day. Not for the commercial rubbish, but for the excuse to celebrate love in all it's forms. It may not need a day, but it's fun to have one anyway.
Dear thermal socks,
Thank you for keeping my feet so nice and warm while it's bitterly cold outside. You make it easier to enjoy the cold months.
Dear Polaroid camera,
You take such perfect candid pictures, ones that we will cherish forever. I think we've all forgotten how to take a picture without filters, editing or having to take 300 and choose the best, I love you for that.
It may be a day to celebrate love but I love you as much each and every day of the year, and more as time goes by. Thank you for being the sweetest, most thoughtful and loving person I know, all year round. I love you.
Dear new pillows,
I love how easily you help me fall asleep! I am now all the more excited to go to bed.
Dear Valentines Day,
Thank you for the excuse to celebrate love, and to make glittery love heart sugar cookies.
I hope you all have a wonderful day full of love and happiness. Valentines Day isn't just for the couples, celebrate all the love in your life!
Friday, 10 February 2017
It's snowing! Actual snowflakes are falling as I type this post and that never fails to make me smile. I do sometimes wonder if I'll ever tier of the magic of it, and become one of those people to whom it's just a nuisance. So many people used to tell me that when I was older I wouldn't find it as exciting, but to those people I say, that I still honestly and truly do! I don't think we're going to get much more after this afternoon, but secretly nothing would make me happier than waking up to pile of it.
1. My love balloon I bought a few weeks ago but had forgotten all about. But February does seem the perfect time to have it up with our anniversary being at the start and Valentines Day not that long after.
2. Beans and toast for dinner.
3. Lego Batman the movie. If you like either Lego or Batman I suggest you go see this film...Paul and I laughed the whole way through.
4. Accidental salted caramel scented bedding, a mistake but a bloody good one! The bedding had been in a drawer that also had the candle in, and it honestly smells wonderful! I think I'll do it more often with other scents too.
5. Freshly made lemonade, apparently the only thing other than water I'll drink when I'm out.
6. The video to Katy Perry's new song - it has a fluffy hamster and a tiny kitchen! Also, if you haven't watched the tiny kitchen videos on Instagram then you have to asap!
7. My new over sized coat from Next...I freaking LOVE it!
8. Starting to use up some of the skincare samples I've collected over the last little while, theres quite a few of them to get through. So far I haven't found anything new that I love but I still have a lot to try.
Wednesday, 8 February 2017
The recipe comes from The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook, but you can find the recipes online too.
~for the brownie
200g of dark chocolate
200g of butter
250g icing sugar
110g plain flour
~for the cheesecake
400g cream cheese
150g icing sugar
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
~for the cream topping
300ml double cream
100g icing sugar
150g raspberries (plus extra for topping)
- Preheat your oven to 170°C, and grease and line a 33cm x 23cm brownie tin with greaseproof paper. (I used a smaller square tin as I didn't have one that size and they worked just fine)
- For the brownie part, melt your dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl over simmering water, or, as I prefer to do -in a glass jug in the microwave. Just make sure to do it for 10-15 second blasts and mix well after each one so your chocolate doesn't burn.
- Combine the butter and icing sugar in a bowl until smooth. Add in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each one, and then stir in the flour and mix until smooth. Pour in your melted chocolate and thoroughly mix through. Put this in your prepared tin and level out the top with a knife or spoon.
- For the cheesecake part, mix the cream cheese, icing sugar and vanilla in a bowl until smooth. Add in the eggs and continue to mix until everything is combined. Pour this over your brownie mix that's already in the tin and wiggle it a little to make sure it's level.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, until golden brown and firm around the edges but still pale and a little wobbly in the middle. Leave to cool completely -preferable overnight.
- For the cream topping, add the raspberries, cream and sugar to a bowl and beat together until firm but not too stiff. Spread this on top of your cheesecake brownies and finish them off with a few more berries. I like to trim the edges of mine, it looks much neater.
I forgot just how much I love this recipe! It's really simple, it just takes some time with the baking of the layers and the cooling afterwards -but it's so worth it! I like to wait until my first two layers are cooled, then add my cream topping and chill the whole thing overnight -it tastes so much better the next day.
The perfect Valentines treat!
Friday, 3 February 2017
It feels so good to be back at this laptop typing away to you! I've done not much else other than bake for the best part of 3 days now and I'm just glad to be doing something else. I plan to spend tonight relaxing with Paul, maybe catching up on some blog reading and having a somewhat early night. Tomorrow is our 11 year anniversary!! I don't even know what to say about that. Not only does that seem like such an unbelievable amount of time, but I feel as if I have only just written about our 10 year anniversary. I'm looking forward to tomorrow, I'm sure it will be lovely, and Paul's planned a tasty breakfast to start the day off.
1. Stopping for a large hazelnut latte after a day spent with my favourite person walking around my favourite city (well, one of them -don't make me choose!).
2. Finding the best halloumi burger I've had to date.
3. Picking up a new note book in TKmaxx, it was about time really. My others are well loved and looking a little sorry for themselves.
4. Watching the sunrise nearly everyday this week. The colours have been beautiful.
5. My mums been in Rome for the last couple of days and she has been giving me a tour over Skype of the places she's visited. I even got to make a wish in The Trevi Fountain all the way from the UK.
6. Mini Lindt Easter eggs -and bunny paws too.
7. New glasses from Anthropologie, I've wanted them for a while now and finally picked two up. One for me, and one for Paul.
8. Dinner out for our friends birthday, we ate far too much and then headed back to his for cake and tea.
Tuesday, 31 January 2017
It's quite simple, fresh faced and suits any lip colour I want to grab as I frantically stuff things in my make up bag on my way out the door.
Base. This is a very very recent addition to my collection and I haven't fully made up my mind on how I feel about it yet. It is thankfully a good colour for me at the moment. Something I hate about buying drugstore foundation is not always being able to check the shades properly. It needs a little less blending than my beloved Revlon Colour Stay, and gives a good even coverage. I've so far only applied it with a brush and I like the finish it has.
Eyes. I absolutely adore the light brown matte shade in the Cosmic Bronze palette from Fleur de Force. I put it all over my lid, and a little past my crease with a flat brush and then blend out the edges. With the dark brown shade (also in the palette) I smudge it along my lash line and add a little through my brows. I finish off my eyes with some mascara, at the moment I'm still using up my YSL Baby Doll -however, I don't like it anywhere near as much as Loreal's False Lash Sculpt.
Cheeks. My much loved NARSissist cheek palette is always what I turn to when I'm in a hurry. Mainly because it has blush and bronzer in one convenient place, even if the bronzer is nearing the end of it's life. But also because they are two of my favourite products. I use a little bronzer to warm up my face, and the blush to give my cheeks a glow, and then I'm ready for the day!
I usually have three or four lip products in my bag somewhere so the one I use will change almost daily. But the one thing I will use each morning is my Eight Hour Cream, it's my favourite product for colder weather and dry lips.
What are your current makeup favourites?
Friday, 27 January 2017
I've decided two things this week. One, that this is most definitely the quickest a month has gone by -I mean, it's February in a few days...how is that even possible? Also, that while January can sometimes be thought of as a bit of a "blah" month, it has some of what I think are my favourite early mornings. The air is crisp, the sun is shining and there is a blanket of frost everywhere, it's just beautiful.
1. A naughty McDonalds breakfast with C. Enabled entirely by me, and enjoyed at her house before making lots of tissue paper flowers.
2. The fog or mist that hangs around until late morning, it leaves the usual everyday places looking rather magical.
3. It may have started yet but our excitement levels are very high this week. Marvels Agents of Shield starts again this week and we cannot wait!
4. A morning of kilt shopping with Paul's mum and dad. A fun morning, even if he found nothing that he liked.
5. Looking at sprinkles online. I guess no surprise seeing as I bake a lot but it's become one of my favourite things to look for.
6. Planning a fun Valentines bake, I think you're gonna like it!
7. Trying new breakfast spots on cold mornings.
8. Snacking on tiny chocolate orange segments that are still left over from Christmas.
© Baking Fashion | All rights reserved.